Black bars around windows and dock when playing WoW using lutris-6.0-RC1 runner

I have a weird problem in that when I launch world of warcraft I get strange black borders around some of my desktop windows and my dock. This in itself doesn’t seem like a massive problem but over time (whilst playing the game) the position of the dock or windows can become frozen and I’m unable to interact with them or my desktop environment (even after exiting the game). At this point, I need to open a terminal using Ctrl-Alt-T and reboot.

I’m using Manjaro with Linux510 kernel. My graphics card is an nvidia 3070 and I’m using the 460.32.03-1 nvidia driver.

The runner I’m using for the game is lutris-6.0.rc1-x86_64(default). Strangely, if I use another runner (e.g. lutris-5.7-11 or System (6.0 (Staging))) the problem doesn’t occur. Unfortunately, with either of those runners the game suffers from stuttering to the point that it’s unplayable. So clearly, there’s something about the runner lutris-6.0.rc1-x86_64 that affects game performance positively, but affects my desktop environment negatively.

The fact that I can play the game with matching performance compared to Windows is great and if I have to live with the impact to my DE I can do. But I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to correct this or had a similar experience.

Thanks,

did you try wine 5.20/5.21? some users reported us good results playing WOW with this versions.

Thanks for the suggestion. I’ve tried 5.20 and 5.21, which has the same behaviour as 5.7 and 6.0. Looks like 6.0 RC1 is the best performant version, even though it’s a release candidate and results in my DE environment glitching.

I’ll stick with 6.0 RC1. I can live with the DE glitches until a newer version corrects that and the performance.