Battlefield V performance problems

Hi there,

I am using Ubuntu Budgie 19.10 and have recently changed over to it as my daily driver from Windows.
I am still very new to Linux in general.

I have a GTX 1060 and 8700k i7 CPU with 16gb DDR4 Ram.

I used Lutris to download the Battlefield V config.
Unfortunately, I seem to experience major stuttering at times (I think when the cache is being built) and in general bad FPS ~40.

I have enabled Esync and ensured that the latest Nvidia driver is installed (430.50).
I’m not sure what else to try, but any help is appreciated.

Many thanks.

1. Install WINE
  2. sudo apt-get install libgnutls30:i386 libldap-2.4-2:i386 libgpg-error0:i386 libxml2:i386 libasound2-plugins:i386 libsdl2-2.0-0:i386 libfreetype6:i386 libdbus-1-3:i386 libsqlite3-0:i386
    3.Install Feral Gamemode
    https://github.com/FeralInteractive/gamemode
    4.Install WINE Tricks
    5.Add the below entries to System preferences / System Options / Environmental variables.

Key - __GL_SHADER_DISK_CACHE

Value – 1

Key - __GL_SHADER_DISK_CACHE_PATH

Value - /home/ryan/Games/origin/nv-shaders
6.Enable Gamemode to work with all Lutris games.

1 Like

With that setup you should have easily 110+ fps in general @ 1080p low settings. When DXVK creates cache it should take 2-10 seconds once when you start playing new map.

First open Lutris and goto Wine version management. Install Lutris-4.16 if not installed yet.

Install Feral Gamemode, instructions for install at Github page.

Right click Battlefield V in Lutris choose Configure.

• open Runner options tab
  • change Wine version to 4.16
  • check that DXVK is enabled and version is 1.4.4 or 1.4.5
  • check that Esync is enabled

Open System options tab and add Enviroment variable -> Key = LD_PRELOAD and Value = /usr/lib/libgamemodeauto.so
libgamemodeauto.so file location may vary depending what distro youre on. Check location by opening terminal and type -> whereis libgamemodeauto.so

Save and then start game. If you want best fps set everything to lowest and try switching future frame rendering which option gives best performance.

Bonus tip 1. -> check that you dont have middle mouse click emulation enabled
Bonus tip 2. -> try Manjaro Cinnamon, if you play games or develop newer packages is hard to beat
Bonus tip 3. -> you can install Lutris games to another mounted drive and then you can change distro if you want, just configure gamepaths from Lutris and start playing again

Enloy Linux, you’ll love it.

1 Like

Also when you install wine and Proton tricks, use the instructions from winehq. The version in the official repository is old. libgamemodeauto.so is libgamemodeauto.so.0 on Ubuntu base

1 Like

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the suggestions, here’s what I’ve done:

• Installed latest stable version of Wine
  • Installed libgnutls30:i386 libldap-2.4-2:i386 libgpg-error0:i386 libxml2:i386 libasound2-plugins:i386 libsdl2-2.0-0:i386 libfreetype6:i386 libdbus-1-3:i386 and libsqlite3-0:i386
  • Installed Feral Gamemode
  • Ensured I have a shader cache enabled
  • DXVK is 1.4.5
  • Esync is enabled
  • Added LD_PRELOAD environmental variable with correct libgamemodeauto path.
  • Changed BFV to run with lutris-4.16 as opposed to the original tkg-protonified-3.21
  • Enabled pre-frame rendering within BFV

Here are the results:

• No more stuttering
  • Consistent 60 - 90 fps on low and medium settings (Not tried higher yet).

I feel like there is more that can be done to achieve better rates, but the main thing is that the game is now playable! So thank you again for the suggestions.

If you have any tips on other improvements that can be made then please let me know :slight_smile:

@vayn3 Forgive my ignorance as i am a complete noob with Linux. I see you recommend Manjaro Cinnamon for playing games, may I ask why this is? I have seen a lot of people rave about different distros (Particularly Arch) for playing games, but i’m struggling to identify why you would use one distro over another?

Thanks again! :smiley:

Great if you got game performing better already! However FPS should be higher, i’m getting 90-144 fps in multiplayer at 1080p low settings with lower performance GPU(RX 470).

I’m still noob at linux myself too, little over 3 years experience but have tested distros from a-z and Manjaro has been my dailydriver for 2 years now without problems. Started with Debian based(same as Ubuntu) Linux Mint because everyone suggested it to newcomers. Once I got new computer assembled and started gaming and developing problems started.

I think the main difference about different Linux distros are, is it rolling or LTS model and repositories. Manjaro uses Arch repositories which are cutting edge and always newest package versions but little delay when using stable branch. I have Timeshift set up if something breaks but I have never still had to used it after 2 years upgrading Manjaro. Another thing I like in Manjaro is Pamac. It’s great the have all packages(software) installed and controlled from one central location, no more adding PPAs.

1 Like

Great, thanks for info :relaxed: Might give Manjaro a try and see how I get on