Back to the main site

Battle.net not working

Hey, I’ve been beating my head against the wall with this issue for about a day now.

The battle.net desktop app doesn’t seem to want to work. I had it installed in 3 separate instances - one for Starcraft Remastered, one for Warcraft 3 Reforged, one for WoW. The WoW one was last working Wednesday before I logged in, but it just flashed a black screen and closed giving me a Blizzard Error. The Starcraft Remastered one worked when I first opened it yesterday but then got the same issue the next time i tried launching it.

I’m running Arch Linux with the i3WM (although did some tries with GNOME DE as well)

I’ve tried with 3 different versions of wine and 2 different versions of DXVK, as well as attempting to launch via terminal rather than Lutris.

Graphics card is a nVidia GTX 1060 6GB, and I have the latest proprietary driver.

Here’s the output of lutris -d:

Other Notes:
I’ve tried reinstalling it and something I did note was that the new installer was missing a font, but trying to install fonts to the prefix via winetricks didn’t help. I did note that on the wiki it states that Blizzard Errors tend to occur when fonts from the AUR. I haven’t taken the step to start looking through the fonts i have installed, but I know I have nerd fonts and material design icons at the very least, since my Polybar and urxvt make use of them.

I first suspected the problem lay with the msmpeg2vdec.dll and another dll related to media foundation and media player but solving that didn’t help anything.

On GNOME rather than splash a black window, it does load onto my trays but it freezes entirely before shutting off.

It does oddly seem to work if I launch it through Steam using Proton 6.3. I don’t currently have enough information as to why.

There was a battlenet update… seems we all have this issue right after that occurs.

Can you check if the application launches from Lutris when you point to it? Always the first thing I try after Blizzard does one of these “refreshes”.

[RU] Ошибка из твоих логов
[EN] Error from your logs
[0402/214207.467:ERROR:dxva_video_decode_accelerator_win.cc(1397)] DXVAVDA fatal error: could not LoadLibrary: msmpeg2vdec.dll: Module not found. (0x7E)
Monitored process exited.
All monitored processes have exited.
Exit with returncode 256

[RU]
Т.к. Proton 6.3 использует заглушки для видео, которые не может воспроизвести, возможно эта ошибка с этим как-то связана. Попробуй вместо него использовать Proton GE, мне в Resident Evil 2 Remake решить проблему с вылетами на видеороликах помогла только версия Proton-5.11-GE-3-MF. Если хочешь использовать в Lutris, не забудь прописать переменные окружения.
[EN from yandex translate]
Since Proton 6.3 uses stubs for videos that it can’t play, this error may have something to do with it. Try using Proton GE instead, in Resident Evil 2 Remake, only Proton-5.11-GE-3-MF helped me solve the problem with crashes in the videos. If you want to use it in Lutris, don’t forget to specify the environment variables.

GST_PLUGIN_SYSTEM_PATH_1_0 /home/$USER/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/Proton-5.11-GE-3-MF/lib64/gstreamer-1.0

WINE_GST_REGISTRY_DIR
/home/$USER/wine/RE2/gstreamer-1.0/

[RU]
Для запуска в Steam без lutris данные переменные не нужны.
[EN]
For launch in Steam without lutris environment variables no need.

[RU]
P.S. Проверил у себя клиент BattleNet работает, так же как и Diablo III, без ошибок и вылетов.
[EN]
Tested by me client BattleNet works also Diablo III, without erros and crashes.

1 Like

Wine-Staging 6.x works just as well as the proton 6.3 if you don’t want to plug it in. 6.5 was added to my Lutris today in fact and would be worth a try to see if it works for you.

In the Battlenet launcher, these video errors occur even if you can successfully launch it and start the game. This is from my install successfully running on Wine-Staging 6.5-tkg with fsync (patched kernel):

err: DxvkInstance: Failed to create instance
[0404/150807.357:ERROR:dxva_video_decode_accelerator_win.cc(1397)] DXVAVDA fatal error: could not LoadLibrary: msmpeg2vdec.dll: Module not found. (0x7E)
[0404/150807.359:ERROR:dxva_video_decode_accelerator_win.cc(1405)] DXVAVDA fatal error: could not LoadLibrary: msvproc.dll: Module not found. (0x7E)

On amd cards, the 256 return code error can be caused by a bug in Mesa which requires an update to it or a workaround where you explicitly select the radeon json vs using auto. I don’t know if the same issue would apply for a 1060 as I can’t reproduce it on my 1060.

No, we all don’t. I’ve consistently ran Battle.Net on a single Wineprefix for over a year. And it works perfectly.

OP: pacman -Qm | grep font and see which AUR fonts you have installed, and see if removing any one by one fixes anything. This is assuming you actually have installed the dependencies per the Lutris GitHub docs page for Battle.Net.