Back to the main site

Battle.net launcher crashes qt platform error

I have WoW installed. It worked fine for a month to a month and a half. Now when I go to launch battle net I keep getting the error code,

This application failed to start because it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin “windows”
in “”.

This is the third time this has happened in the last 2-3 months. I thought I could replicate the bug but it happened randomly this last time.

Debug output, Ubuntu Pastebin

Here’s the issue json, Ubuntu Pastebin

And then this is the log output, Ubuntu Pastebin

The other times this happend was about the same. No issues for months then the error code.

I’ve fixed it in the past by reinstalling. I’d rather just fix it so I don’t have to do that every month.

2 Likes

Perhaps try a newer runner - I am running wine7.20-staging-tkg and haven’t had that issue

I get the same error using:

System (7.19 (Staging))

WineHQ Staging (7.19 (Staging))

lutris-7.2-2-x86_64

lutris-fshack-7.2-x86_64 (default)

I tried to reinstall using instructions from winehq and i get, winehq-staging is already the newest version (7.19~focal-1).

What distro and version are you running?

I’m using xubuntu. It’s ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS right now.

Here is the link to the runner I mentioned. Get the wine-7.20-staging-tkg-amd64.tar.xz and copy it to ~/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine and extract it here. Is this an old installation of battle.net or a new one? Also, what version of Lutris are you running

The install is a few weeks old. Maybe a month old.

I put the new version into the folder you listed and swapped the version on battle net.

After installing mono I get the same error.

What lutris version

It’s the one off of the snap store. 0.5.10.1

snap is bad in this instance need the 0.5.11 version from here but I do not know how it will play with snap

I have the same error. It worked fine until yesterday.

OS: Archlinux
Runner: 7.20 Staging
Lutris 0.5.11

Lutris -d – lutris -d WoW - Pastebin.com

You have to replace the .dll file in the Battle.net Platform folder with an older .dll file,
look for the comment by DrChuckWhite 3 points 17 days ago*

I got it working by using an old qwindows.dll file and replacing the new one in “Battle.net/Battle.net.13801/platforms/

Uploaded it to Dropbox in case you don’t have one.

13835 is the current bnet version folder.

I run this:

setfattr -x user.DOSATTRIB qwindows.dll

inside Program Files (x86)/Battle.net/Battle.net.13835/platforms directory and problem solve.

Okey it appears to work correctly.

I had to put the file into Battle.net.13835/platforms, not battle.net.13801/platforms, so I guess the problem is tied to some recent update.

Thanks, I wouldn’t have thought it was a problem on blizzards end but here we are lol.