Axiom Verge 2 through Epic Games Store

Steps to reproduce: install Epic Games Store from the lutris web site. Log in. Purchase Axiom Verge 2. Install it through the store. Launch it. Start a new game. Go through the introduction to the story.

Expected result: there should be sound on the game’s main screen. When actual gameplay starts after the intro, the game should run without crashing.

Actual result: The game exits full screen mode and pops up an error window. Clicking “Continue” (which is the only option given to move forward), the game window closes, but the Epic Games Store says the game is still running. There is nothing in the logs for the Epic Games Store App.

Axiom Verge 2 error message:
Unhandled exception has occured in a component in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue.\n\nObject reference not set to an instance of an object.
Details:
See the end of this message for details on invoking \njust-instime (JIT) debugger
at MonoGame.Framework.WinFormsGameWindow.OnDeactivate (System…
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnDeactivate (System.EventArgs e) [0x00…

lutris-issue-report.json: Ubuntu Pastebin

1 Like

I’m not able to get Axiom Verge 2 to start at all. I’m on Ubuntu 20.04. I’m trying to launch it the way you described. Through the Epic Games Store which I installed via Lutris.

The Epic Games Store launches and is able to install the game. When I try to run it nothing ever comes up. The Games Store says the game is running for a short period and then it goes back to giving me the option to launch it again.

Is there a way to get logs of what’s happening within the wine prefix from Lutris. The log for the epic game store doesn’t have much.

Just in case it helps anyone later, I got everything working through Heroic Games Launcher, suggesting to me that at least the problem isn’t bad Wine Mono libraries or anything.

@bigfoot1887 That’s very interesting to me. I tried Heroic at one point but I wasn’t able to get the game to work with that. I’ve actually primarily been using Legenday (I believe Heroic uses it under the hood).

Would you mind sharing your configuration? OS Version, Wine Version? 32bit/64bit wine_prefix? List of installed winetricks if any? Heroic Version? Anything else you think might be relevant?

I didn’t reply for so long because shortly after my last message, something changed and things stopped working. After messing endlessly with wine, it seems like the biggest things were making sure I was using WINEARCH=win32, and using winetricks to install .NET 4.5.2. I have gotten it working on Ubuntu 20.04 with Wine stable and Arch with Wine staging. Good luck!