Assassin's Creed Odyssey Input auto-detect causing mouse cursor flicker and joystick drift

I’ve got Assassin’s Creed Odyssey (UbiSoft Connect version, not Steam) working nearly perfectly with Lutris but one problem remains. With RockCandy XBOX 360 controller connected, when I start it up, the “Press Any Key” flickers to “Press (A) Button”. Other PC players have encountered this and disabled the Input Auto-Detect via the in-game menu. This works for a little while, until I use the L2 or R2 buttons, then it goes back to attempting to auto-detect the input, flipping between keyboard+mouse and joystick repeatedly every second.

Here’s a link to the thread on UbiSoft’s forum explaining pretty much the same problem but the game will jump back to Auto-detect in the middle of the game.
https://forums.ubisoft.com/showthread.php/1775161-Menu-cursor-flicker-between-mouse-and-controller

Before switching to Linux Mint, the game ran fine on Windows 10 with the same controller. I even went so far as to set the ACOdyssey.ini file to read-only but that still didn’t help. I’m going to try an XBOX One controller next. Any suggestions?

1 Like

I think I figured it out. The controller has a slightly damaged cable which caused it to quickly become disconnected and reconnect when moved around, causing the game to re-enable Input Auto-Detect mode. Solution is to drop some cash on a controller that will last more than 6 months.

Unfortunately, this doesn’t seem to be a HW problem. Happens to me, too with a DS4 - on a wired and wireless connection. All other games work fine, but ACO does not.

What does work for me is start the game without the controller and then plug it in right at the AC launch screen and press a button immediately. Kind of a hassle but better than nothing.