AMD GPU not found ? -- "Radeon HD 7610M" -- Lutris Flatpak

Hello there!

I installed the Lutris Flatpak version, because i though it would run without any complicated tweaks, and it does, sort of … Diablo 2 LOD works fine but :

First my system infoes :

Op. system = Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon
Cinnamon version 5.8.4
Linux Kernel: 5.15.0-91-generic
Processor: Intel© Core™ i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz × 4
Ram: 8Gb
Graphics:

1. Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
  2. Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Whistler LE [Radeon HD 6610M/7610M]

I would like to run " lutris -d" but lutris is not in the path, like when i try to run this command in the terminal suggesting me to install lutris, command not found, and i have no idea how to do this with the flatpak version. I found the path to the launcher, i tried the comand in that folder but nothing happened, so if you tell me the right way to do it i will provide you with that output as well.

1. The issue is that Lutris uses the integrated Intel gpu, at leas as i think, and not the dedicated Radeon one. Fun fact, if i start Lutris normally, i get this under hardware info:

[Graphics]
Vendor: Intel
OpenGL Renderer: Mesa Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 (SNB GT2)
OpenGL Version: 3.3 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 23.3.2 (git-527d45230f)
OpenGL Core: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 23.3.2 (git-527d45230f)
OpenGL ES: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 23.3.2 (git-527d45230f)
Vulkan Version: 1.3.261
Vulkan Drivers:

1. but if i start it with the option " Run with dedicated GPU " than the output shows this :

[Graphics]
Vendor: Vendor unavailable
OpenGL Renderer: OpenGL Renderer unavailable
OpenGL Version: OpenGL Version unavailable
OpenGL Core: OpenGL core unavailable
OpenGL ES: OpenGL ES unavailable
Vulkan Drivers:

1. If i run the : "lspci -k | grep -EA3 ‘VGA|3D|Display’ " command in the terminal i get this output

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller
Kernel driver in use: i915
Kernel modules: i915

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Whistler LE [Radeon HD 6610M/7610M]
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. K53SK Laptop Radeon HD 7610M
Kernel driver in use: radeon
Kernel modules: radeon

1. And this is a part of the “vulkaninfo” command:

ERROR: […/src/amd/vulkan/radv_device.c:766] Code 0 : Device ‘/dev/dri/renderD128’ is not using the AMDGPU kernel driver: Invalid argument (VK_ERROR_INCOMPATIBLE_DRIVER)

VULKANINFO

Vulkan Instance Version: 1.3.204

Kernel modules: radeon
  1. After which in Lutris, using the dedicated card option again the output will be changed to :

[Graphics]
Vendor: Mesa
OpenGL Renderer: AMD TURKS (DRM 2.50.0 / 5.15.0-91-generic, LLVM 17.0.6)
OpenGL Version: 4.5 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 23.3.2 (git-527d45230f)
OpenGL Core: 4.5 (Core Profile) Mesa 23.3.2 (git-527d45230f)
OpenGL ES: OpenGL ES 3.1 Mesa 23.3.2 (git-527d45230f)
Vulkan Drivers:

And it looks good, but after i start the game is very laggy… i want to play with the witcher enhanced edition, with should have in a good case senario a 256mb card, and my card is 2Gb so it shoud run fine, therefore i think it is not beeing used.

1. When i start the game i get these logs:

Started initial process 274 from gamemoderun gamemoderun /home/ … /GOG Games/The Witcher Enhanced Edition/Launch The Witcher Enhanced Edition Director’s Cut.lnk
Start monitoring process.
gamemodeauto:
gamemodeauto:
gamemodeauto:
esync: up and running.
Initial process has exited (return code: 0)
r600 device_uuid output is based on invalid pci bus info.

If i look at the configs → system options → Under “Multi Gpu”
i have “load ICD Vulkan” : which is now at " unspecified: llvmpipe"
If i look inside to choose my Gpu, i see : AMD RADV Open Source (MESA:RADV) : Not Found

Somewhere i read that Vulkan needs the AMDGPU server present instead of the radeon, what i have ( look at point 3) ) but i have no idea how to change or install the AMDGPU… any tips ?

Someone had “similar” problem and it was fixed with the “sudo pacman -S amdgpu-experimental” but i am not sure if this would be good as well in my case.

I tried to download and install the original legacy drivers (AMD Catalyst) but they are supported till the Xserver 1.10 and i have the 1.21 already ( : …

Fun fact, if i use “radeontop” to monitor my gpu it doesnt work. Like, the process will be lanched, but than there is no active output. At the top of the window i can read : " radeontop unknown, running on TURKS bus 01.

If i try the “nvtop” it gaves me an error saying that there is nothing to monitor. ( in theory nvtop should be good for amd as well )

I downloaded the “mission center” app as well, which sees also only my integrated gpu, but it shows no grafical output, only the Mhz has visible changes.

Somewhere i read that the linux kernel has some problems to recognise legacy gpus, and that was solved with updating the kernel to a 6.something version… but i am not sure… and before i mess up something i wanted to ask ( :

So how can i solve this problem ? How can i install the right drivers for my gpu to be able to use it in lutris ? Or i need just change the “radeon” to “amdgpu” and than it will work, if so what are the steps to do so ? ( maybe with examples so i can understand it better , thank you very much!) :slight_smile:

Ps: I found here : [SOLVED] I need to make my gpu to use amdgpu instead of radeon / Newbie Corner / Arch Linux Forums
That the Hd 7000 GPUs does not support amdgpu for vulkan … sooo whats next ? :confused:

Afaik, vulkan support starts at hd 7700 and up.
Stick to OpenGL.
Set environment var DRI_PRIME=1, either on command line or in lutris game config.
It temporarily switches from integrated to dedicated gpu.