Age Of empire 1 CD (error 13568)

Hello everyone ! :sun_with_face:

I continue my quest to put back my old CDs games linux compatible. (yes, I spend more time trying to solve problems than playing…but what do you want, it’s part of the Linuxian charm)

Today I’m testing Age of empires 1 Gold edition.

When I natively launch the installation just with the CD I have two problems. Either the complete installation does not want to start because there is a crash at the installation of “Direct X”, or when I launch the partial installation, at the end of the installation, the automatic program crashes, and lutris no longer works.

So, I went to see the lutris website, and I tried the installation with the patch, everything goes great, except that in the end, new problem, this time it is the code “13568” that is reported and blocks the installation.

Extract :

Blockquoteonitored process exited.
Initial process has exited (return code: 0)
All processes have quit
Exit with return code 0
Started initial process 36119 from /home/Me/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/wine-ge-8-26-x86_64/bin/wine /home/Me/Games/age-of-empires/drive_c/tmp/UPatch HD Setup.exe
Start monitoring process.
fsync: up and running.
wine: RLIMIT_NICE is <= 20, unable to use setpriority safely
wine: failed to open “/home/Me/Games/age-of-empires/drive_c/tmp/UPatch HD Setup.exe”: c0000135
Monitored process exited.
Initial process has exited (return code: 13568)
Exit with return code 13568"

And :

Blockquote
warning: Running /home/Me/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/wine-ge-8-26-x86_64/bin/wineserver -w. This will hang until all wine processes in prefix=/home/Me/Games/age-of-empires terminate

Any idea ?
Im on Pop os.

Edited July 14, 2024 due to legluondunet’s reply: Run the installer again and select the ZIP archive for the UPatch file when the installer asks for its location (do not extract the ZIP archive).

I just ran into this same problem. It appears that Lutris is expecting the UPatch HD Setup file to be copied into that folder during the install so it can continue to use it, but it doesn’t actually get copied over. Here’s how I got past it:

Download the UPatch HD Setup file and place it somewhere (I kept it in my Downloads folder with the original name “UPatch HD 1.2-R4 Setup.exe”)

Run the Lutris setup for the game, and when it asks for the location of the UPatch HD Setup file, select the one you downloaded, wherever you put it.

The setup process will continue, asking for the original game CD. Put the CD in and select “Autodetect”, and eventually the game’s install window will appear. Do not continue to install the game yet.

At this point, the folder “/home/Me/Games/age-of-empires/drive_c/tmp/" should have been created by Lutris. Open a file browser and copy/paste the UPatch HD Setup file from wherever you originally put it to the “tmp” folder that it wants it to be in, and then rename the file to “UPatch HD Setup.exe” (If it’s not named that already)

Go back to the AOE installation window and continue the install as normal. Once the AOE install has completed, click “Setup Menu” and then “Exit”. Lutris should continue with the install script, and the UPatch HD install window should appear.

Hello, I’m author of this script installer.

Download the UPatch HD Setup file and place it somewhere (I kept it in my Downloads folder with the original name “UPatch HD 1.2-R4 Setup.exe”)

You should not extract file you downloaded on the official https://upatch-hd.weebly.com/ site, the file is in zip format.

Run the Lutris setup for the game, and when it asks for the location of the UPatch HD Setup file, select the one you downloaded, wherever you put it.

That the way to go

The setup process will continue, asking for the original game CD. Put the CD in and select “Autodetect”, and eventually the game’s install window will appear.

Click install and let the default options, should just work.

Are you sure you use the GOLD version?
Are you sure your CD image is in a good state?
Do you use the latest Lutris version?

I was extracting the zip file, so that was probably the problem. Thanks for that update.

I’ll be away from my computer for a few days, otherwise I would try it out, but does the script rename the file when it extracts it from the zip file? Because the name of the file inside the zip file is not the same as what the installer is looking for.

Also, I don’t know much about Lutris install scripts, but I had to turn off E-sync and F-sync, otherwise I would have a lot of studdering and momentary freezing in the game. I’m not sure if this should be turned off by default in the install script (if thats possible), or if this is just a unique problem with my system. But maybe someone can test this out. ← This was a problem with my system.

but does the script rename the file when it extracts it from the zip file

Yes:

I had to turn off E-sync and F-sync

not from my side but I need to play more to be sure

Thanks again for the update. I’m finally back at home and I was able to uninstall the game and reinstall it following your directions (not extracting the ZIP archive), and the game installed correctly.