(2023)If you bought RDR2 from Rockstar, and now want to play with Lutris, this is the guide

This guide should help anyone with Linux, and an NVIDIA GPU.
If you already have lutris and the Rockstar launcher, and game installed as per other guides, skip to the part in bold for settings.

First and foremost, update and upgrade your system: apt-get, pacman etc.

Here’s the system I was working with for reference…
Kernel: 6.1.63-1-lts
DE: Plasma 5.27.9
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (16) @ 4.100GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070
NVIDIA Driver Version: 545.29.06

1. Download Lutris from your package repository and install it. Most common flavors and repos are supported. Download Lutris

2. Run update and upgrade one more time, to make sure you have the basic runners that lutris runs on wine, winetricks etc. If you aren’t familiar with what these are, familiarize yourself. They are wrappers for your Windows programs that allow you to run .exe programs and games on Linux.

i.) Under the ‘Runners’ section in the side tab, click on Wine:Manage Versions
ii) Add lutris-GE-Proton8-15

1. Once in Lutris add the Rockstar Launcher:
    Click the (+) icon in the top left corner to add a game > Search the Lutris website for installers "rockstar’

Install the standalone-1.0.36.344

This will create a new folder and drive_c

i) right click on the icon in the Lutris system tray ‘Configure’,
enable advanced options slider (top-right)
ii)use these settings and change sliders to on/off as indicated. If it is not listed it can be left off:
wine version: lutris-GE-Proton8-15
DXVK: v2.3
VKD3D: v2.11
D3D: v2
Enable Esync: true

iii) Launch the Rockstar Launcher, sign in, and download the game. IMPORTANT: Make sure the install location is on the ‘drive_c’ , and in the directory drive_c/Program Files/Rockstar Games/

While you are here make sure cloud saves checkbox is checked.

You can close the launcher once it has installed.

1. Install a RDR2 launcher to Lutris tray:

(+) Add a game, Install a Windows game from an executable
Call it RDR2
Leave the Windows 10 preset, and System local as default

Navigate to the ‘drive_c/Program Files/Rockstar Games/Red Dead Redemption 2’ directory and find the RDR2.exe, this executable you want to launch. Finish the set-up and let lutris configure it to the system tray.

i)Right-click RDR2 icon in the system tray and ‘Configure’

ii)Under the Runner options tab, use these settings and change sliders to on/off as indicated. If it is not listed it can be left off:

wine version: lutris-GE-Proton8-15
Custom Wine executable: PROTON_ENABLE_NVAPI=1 PROTON_HIDE_NVIDIA_GPU=0 WINEDLLOVERRIDES=vulkan-1=n,b
DXVK: v1.9.2L-3e64e1b
VKD3D: v2.5L-db89d40
D3D: v2
DXVK NVAPI /DLSS: v0.5-e23d450
Esync: true
Fsync:true

Save and exit

1. Launch the game from the new RDR2 icon

You should see the launcher boot first, and then the ‘play’ icon should turn to ‘loading’. Allow the game load. It should start in windowed mode, which you can then change in game.

That’s it, I hope this helps.