Mafia1 Exit with return code 256

Idk what is problem how can i fix it ?

Installing Data:

Started initial process 5968 from /home/uurcan/.local/share/lutris/runtime/winetricks/winetricks --unattended vcrun6
Start monitoring process.

warning: Your version of wine is no longer supported upstream. You should upgrade to 5.x

Executing mkdir -p None

Creating WINEPREFIX “None/prefix” with WINEARCH=win64

wine: invalid directory None/prefix in WINEPREFIX: not an absolute path
wineserver: invalid directory None/prefix in WINEPREFIX: not an absolute path
ls: cannot access ‘None/prefix/drive_c’: No such file or directory
grep: None/prefix/*.reg: No such file or directory

WINEPREFIX INFO:
Drive C:

Registry info:
None/prefix/*.reg:

warning: /home/uurcan/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/lutris-ge-lol-7.0-1-x86_64/bin/wine cmd.exe /c echo ‘%AppData%’ returned empty string, error message “wine: invalid directory None/prefix in WINEPREFIX: not an absolute path”

Monitored process exited.
Initial process has exited (return code: 256)
All processes have quit
Exit with return code 256

I don’t know the details of your issue but assuming your ‘Mafia1’ is referring to ‘Mafia: Definitive Edition (2020)’, that game works on Lutris v0.5.12 from Dec 2022 (it does not work on Lutris v0.5.13(May 2023), at least not on my setup as while the game technically starts up it’s near dead slow navigating the games main menu, like it’s not using the GPU etc).

in fact, I replay the entire Mafia series (Mafia (2002)/Mafia II (2010)/Mafia III (2016)/Mafia: Definitive Edition (2020) and even Mafia II: Definitive Edition (2020), which is only a slightly updated graphics version of the 2010 version of the game. but if you are only going to play one version of Mafia II, I suggest the original 2010 version as it does not have the graphics bugs etc that the Definitive Edition has and it’s graphics are only slightly lower texture quality overall) on Linux Mint through Lutris v0.5.12 and/or Wine variations.

Mafia: Definitive Edition (2020) even works on stock Wine but ONLY once you pair it with DXVK (i.e. github[.]com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases )…

-DXVK v2.2 (i.e. github[.]com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases ; currently ‘dxvk-2.2.tar.gz’ which is the newest currently) = works on Wine v8.0.2 (note: I ‘think’ DXVK v2.x requires Wine v7.1 or newer to work)

-DXVK v1.10.3 (i.e. github[.]com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases/tag/v1.10.3 ; ‘dxvk-1.10.3.tar.gz’ ) = works on Wine v6.0.1

note: I have the windows version set to ‘Windows 10’ as Wine versions prior to 8.1 default to Windows 7. the game might be okay with Windows 7 mode as I did not try that. but if you have issues, make sure to setup Wine to Windows 10 mode.

note: DXVK v2.x requires NVIDIA v510 driver or newer to work (on the NVIDIA GPU side of things) and a GPU with support for Vulkan v1.3 at the minimum. DXVK v1.10.3 will work on the NVIDIA v470 driver or newer and only requires a minimum Vulkan v1.1 or newer (and works on older Wine versions apparently given my testing above). more info here is… github[.]com/doitsujin/dxvk/wiki/Driver-support

to setup DXVK using those downloads above I did it like this…

extract the tar.gz files as you basically need to copy the files in the ‘x64’ folder to your Wine prefixes "C:\windows\system32\ " directory (I suggest using PlayOnLinux since it will remain separate from your default “.wine” profile in ones home directory as I noticed if Lutris does any reconfiguring of things, it seems to wipe out those files and stop it from working on stock Wine using DXVK) then ‘Configure Wine’, which brings up the Wine configuration window, then click ‘Libraries’ and on ‘New override for library:’ section you add ‘d3d9’ / ‘d3d10core’ / ‘d3d11’ / ‘dxgi’. so you add those four things. then left click on each one and select ‘edit’ and change it from ‘native, builtin’ to ‘Native (Windows)’ and click OK. then Apply/OK and the game should start up by running the games ‘mafiadefinitiveedition.exe’ file through PlayOnLinux’s ‘Configuration > Miscellaneous’ and click the ‘Run a .exe file in this virtual drive’ is the basic idea (or your system installed Wine equivalent etc).

I tested that stuff very recently (on my desktops 3rd gen i5 CPU paired with a 1050 Ti 4GB GPU running NVIDIA v525 GPU driver on Linux Mint 21.2-Xfce) through Wine profiles created with PlayOnLinux. note: by default PlayOnLinux can’t create a Wine profile any newer than v6.17(64-bit) as I had to manually tweak PlayOnLinux so it can create say Wine v8.0.2 (64-bit) etc profiles.

but generally speaking… Lutris v0.5.12 is what I would suggest to play Mafia: Definitive Edition (2020) since it’s probably easier than manually messing around with DXVK like I posted above. I generally use Lutris v0.5.12 paired with a system installed Wine (development) which is currently v8.14.

p.s. but if you have issues installing Mafia: Definitive Edition (2020) through Lutris, I would give PlayOnLinux a shot.

EDIT: I got Lutris v0.5.13 to work on ‘Mafia: DE’ using a clean Wine v8.0.2 prefix (using my usual GloriousEggroll runners 7-28 and even recent 8-13 etc) created from PlayOnLinux and then guided Lutris to use that profile, so I assume something must have gotten out of whack just enough on the system installed Wine profile (which I am using the newest Wine ‘development’ version of 8.14) to screw with the newest Lutris v0.5.13 somehow (as like I said reverting to Lutris v0.5.12 solved the issue). I am going to see if I can get the issue to trigger using newer Wine profiles etc or not as my guess is running multiple games on the system installed Wine, something must have gotten out of whack and stopped the newest Lutris v0.5.13 from working on those two games (Mafia: DE/Mafia III, which both use same graphics engine and use DXVK according to what ‘MANGOHUD = 1’ tells me).

EDIT #2(Sep 2nd 2023): in short, make sure to use a proper Lutris prefix…

…so right click game shortcut you made in Lutris, ‘Configure > Game options’ and on ‘Wine prefix’ section make sure to use something like, for example, “/home/user/MafiaDE/” (without the ") (and make sure to swap ‘user’ with whatever your system is setup as). then when you start up the game Lutris will create it’s own Wine prefix in that location where your saved games will be etc.

apparently that’s the proper way to do it as I was previously guiding it to a Wine prefix created outside of Lutris by system installed Wine or PlayOnLinux etc, which can potentially cause issues and is apparently not the proper way to set things up.

for even further bonus with that, which is significant here also…

…just applying that “/home/user/MafiaDE” thing on Mafia II (2010), my frame rate got a rather big boost on the benchmark… 85.7fps average (on my second run as the first run you could see a bit of stutter as it was caching stuff in the ‘GLCache’ folder and even the initial run was not bad) vs when I left it blank, the frame rate averaged about 45-50fps (even after initial caching in the ‘GLCache’ folder). so this is not something you want to ignore!

so lesson learned, make darn sure to set your ‘Wine prefix’ setting in Lutris v0.5.13 as it seems to be critical for performance and even getting some games, like Mafia: DE, to function in the first place.