[SOLVED] Anno 1800 causes huge lags to my system, unplayable

Hello everyone,

I’m new to Linux and gaming on the OS as well.
As I really love Anno 1800, I installed it through Lutris (details below). When I launch the game, I can go right ingame in the menu and stuff, but the moment I hit run in Lutris my whole system faces a huge lag. Everything is like covered in sticky honey, takes forever and, well, the game is simply unplayable.

Are there some settings I’ve been missing or something else I could do, to make the game run smoothly?
I tried to research it on Google, but I was unable to replicate what people wore they did to run the game, since these versions of Wine seem non-existing.

Kubuntu 24.4
KDE Plasma 5.27.11
X11
ADMD Ryzen 7 3700X
32 GB RAM
NVIDIA 2080 - 555 driver version
Wine 9.0, installed through Discovery
Winetricks 20240105-2, also through Discovery
Anno 1800, Wine Ubisoft Connect DXVK version, Anno 1800 - Lutris

Hi,
Lots of things you can try, but in the game generally run “borderless” for the fullscreen mode if it has one, also vsync off, and instead apply a frame rate limit if the game has it.

The recommendations from Lutris for WINE is Staging which currently sits at 9.13, but looking at the installer, the game should be running with wine-ge-8-26 - check that in the game config (“runner options” tab) and get back to us.

Lastly, you’re running X11 as your windowing system, but Wayland’s compositing is better for games now it doesn’t have mouse lag (for me, anyway) and other features.
I’m not sure what Kubuntu’s version is, so you might want to check if they supply an up to date version, but you should be able to switch to Wayland on the login screen.

read the pinned message and get the debug output - high chance you have an older version of lutris installed and need to use the fix to the Ubisoft Lutris installer (search lutris.net for Ubisoft) to support nvidia gpu’s correctly on their latest release. Also need to make sure you have the wine and vulkan drivers for 32 bit installed. Lastly, Ubisoft seems to prefer a wine-staging versions not straight wine - you can manually add it to lutris or install the latest wine-staging from WineHQ.

Hey, thank you people for your help!
In the meantime I went from EndeavourOS back to Kubuntu, and what should I say, Anno just worked out of the box.

I think it could have something to do with EndeavourOS‘s Wayland and my NVIDIA Card, as I know from Kubuntu that whenever I switch to Wayland my whole computer lags,

Seems like we are still not Wayland yet.

Anyway, thanks again and have a good one

Wayland has many graphical issues on various distros, I use X11 and I suggest you to use it as well.

If this doesn’t solve your problem next step is to install 555 driver for your Nvidia card.
Which driver version do you have now and what GPU do you have?

Please share output of inxi -bG which will tell us this info and info about your system.

Thank you, but my issue is solved :blush: